The change in seasons always feels like a good time to look around and refresh the things in your life that may have become a little stale. Your online brand and social media presence is no exception. So this week I propose that we start an Instagram clean-up together.
Why? Because you know what you do, what services you provide, what you stand for, and what your brand is all about - but is your Instagram profile really communicating that to new friends and fans that are seeing it for the first time?
First, join our Facebook group so you can share your progress and results - then read through the checklist below and see where you might be going wrong.
Part 1: What’s in your bio?
Is my bio super relevant?
- You only get 150 characters, make every one of them count!
- Leave out that you are a mom, wife, mother, dog-lover and only put in what is really relevant to your brand.
Is it clear what I do?
- Clear trumps clever every time.
- For example, instead of saying: ‘I make pretty things to brighten your world’ try: ‘I’m an illustrator, specializing in pattern, bright colors, and hand lettering.’
Do I have a strong call-to action?
- Always, always, always tell people what you want them to do next, and how they can reach you.
- With Instagram’s new business accounts you can add a contact button right on your profile, but it never hurts to tell people what to do either. You could say ‘Download your free _____’ and include a link to that specific page or opt-in on your website.
Is my profile pic easy to see, relevant and professional?
- People like connecting with real human beings, so help them do that.
- The mistakes I see most often are pics that are too far away (especially when cropped into that tiny little Instagram circle on someone’s phone), pics with family or friends (this is all about you my dear), using pets or kids, or underexposed / poorly taken photos. If you don’t have a professionally-taken portrait at least make sure it has good lighting, a clear background, and is close enough that most of the frame is filled with your face!
To download the rest of the checklist, enter your email below.
Also, check out my guide on how to spend less time on social media, but DOUBLE your results! I've been gaining 180 new followers a week on Instagram by following these tips.